Lady Luck was at her very best on Super Bowl Sunday.
A lottery ticket sold at a grocery store in Peoria — on the same day as the Big Game — yielded a profit of more than $200,000.
Arizonans have proven to be big-time lottery players. During the 2020-21 fiscal year, the Arizona Lottery reported a record $1.43 billion in gross sales.
Lucky tickets can be found anywhere, from grocery stores to convenience stores. But, some may not know what to do if they win the big one.
Arizona Lottery’s Fantasy 5 nets 1 person $232,000
According to the Arizona Lottery, Sunday’s unclaimed winning ticket was sold at a Fry’s grocery store near Dear Valley Road and 83rd Avenue. The winner player their lucky numbers on the Fantasy 5 lottery game.
Sunday’s winning numbers were: 8, 9, 16, 18 and 21. The winning ticket produced a jackpot worth $232,000.
Since then, no one has been able to hit the Fantasy 5 jackpot. If someone is able to land all five numbers tonight, they will win a jackpot of over $53,000. However, that number is likely to increase a ton before another lucky player hits the jackpot.
What to do if you win the lottery
It is unclear if Sunday’s winning ticket has been claimed yet. If you or someone you know has it, there are a few things you need to do in order to get your hands on the cash.
The first thing recommended is that you sign the back of your ticket right away. No one keeps track of who owns winning tickets. So, if your jackpot winner is lost or stolen, anyone could claim your cash if you haven’t signed your ticket. But if you sign it, all you would then have to do is show identification that matches the signature on the back to claim your prize.
All Arizona Lottery retailers will redeem prizes up to $100 and redeem prizes up to $599. So check in with a local retailer near you. However, if the prize is $600 or more, they will print out a claim form for you.
You must claim winning tickets worth $600 or more at the Phoenix or Tucson Lottery offices. Players must be at least 21 years old to play or redeem lottery games. So in those cases, you need to bring your original ticket plus a government-issued ID that includes your photograph. Also, you’ll need to put your Social Security number on the Arizona Lottery Winner Claim Form.
Arizona’s luckiest lottery spots
Several stores across Arizona have seen lottery players win some high-value prizes over the years. But where is the luckiest place to buy a lottery ticket in the Grand Canyon State if you’re hoping to win big?
In October 2021, the Arizona Lottery released a list of the state retailers that have sold the most high-value winning tickets. The rankings show which of Arizona’s stores have sold the most lottery tickets that have won at least $10,000.
According to the data, here are the luckiest lottery retailers:
- Fry’s Food Store on Yuma Road in Goodyear: 11 winning tickets for a total amount of $320,000
- S V Food Mart on 7th Street in Sierra Vista: 10 winning tickets for a total amount of $777,777
- Beaver Dam Station on Highway 91 in Littlefield: 10 winning tickets for a total amount of $367,992
- Fry’s Food Store on Cotton Lane in Surprise: 10 winning tickets for a total amount of $180,000
- QuikTrip on Camelback Road in Phoenix: Nine winning tickets for a total amount of $1,850,356
- QuikTrip on Glendale Avenue in Glendale: Nine winning tickets for a total amount of $1,510,000
- Fry’s Marketplace on McDowell Road in Phoenix: Nine winning tickets for a total amount of $360,000
- QuikTrip on Avondale Boulevard in Avondale: Nine winning tickets for a total amount of $350,000
- Fry’s Food Store on McDowell Road in Scottsdale: Eight winning tickets for a total amount of $540,000
- Fry’s Marketplace on Indian School Road in Phoenix: Eight winning tickets for a total amount of $380,000
- Fry’s Food Store on Thunderbird Road in Phoenix: Eight winning tickets for a total amount of $300,000
- QuikTrip on 75th Avenue in Phoenix: Eight winning tickets for a total amount of $290,000
- Fry’s Marketplace on Bell Road in Glendale: Eight winning tickets for a total amount of $290,000